Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Herbert London: Anti-Zionism At Northeastern
New England News
Mon October 7, 2013
Westfield State President Faces No-Confidence Vote
Faculty members and librarians at Westfield State University in Massachusetts are planning a no-confidence vote on President Evan Dobelle later this month.
The Oct. 16 vote was scheduled after Dobelle missed a deadline Thursday to explain travel spending criticized by an outside auditor and state inspector general.
After Dobelle missed the deadline, state Higher Education Commissioner Richard Freeland froze $197,000 in university funding and recommended withholding another $2 million for a planned science center.
Buzz Hoagland, president of the faculty and librarian union, told The Republican of Springfield that the union will present the vote results to the school's Board of Trustees.
A Dobelle spokesman says Dobelle plans to submit documents to Freeland today and criticized Freeland's decision to withhold school funding as a form of blackmail.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.