Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
Wed May 22, 2013
"What's Going On at UAardvark?" by Lawrence Wittner
Lawrence Wittner, Professor of History emeritus at the State University of New York @ Albany, is an award-winning writer and political activist who taught for 43 years on college and university campuses, in the United States and abroad. His latest book is the novel, What's Going On at UAardvark?
It is an irreverent tale of how an increasingly corporatized, modern American university becomes the site of a rambunctious rebellion that turns the nation's campus life upside down.
Along the way, there are encounters with a playboy university president, bizarre U.S. military commanders, poetry-writing Hells Angels, foul-mouthed, decadent students, gun-toting "Christian Patriots," a schizophrenic FBI director, hypocritical politicians, a witch-like union leader, and a host of other zany characters.
Wittner says it is funny, but takes on a serious issue in contemporary America: the corporate takeover of higher education.
Commentary & Opinion