Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
Tue January 7, 2014
"The Willpower Instinct" By Dr. Kelly McGonigal
As a health psychologist, Dr. Kelly McGonigal’s job is to help people manage stress and make positive changes in their lives. After years of watching people try to control their bodies, emotions, and choices, she realized that much of what they believed about willpower was sabotaging their success and creating unnecessary stress.
It became clear that many scientific insights about self-control had not yet become part of public understanding. This led to the creation of Kelly’s Stanford University course, “The Science of Willpower,” which has helped hundreds of people achieve their goals by understanding the science behind why we give in to temptation, and how we can find the strength to resist.
The course is now a book, The Willpower Instinct, which combines the newest insights from psychology, economics, neuroscience, and medicine to explain what exactly willpower is, how it works, and why it matters.