Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Mon September 17, 2012
Winooski Roundabout Most Crash-Prone in Vermont
The once-lauded roundabout that was built in downtown Winooski as part of one of Vermont's most ambitious downtown redevelopment projects now has the distinction of being the most crash-prone intersections in the state.
Traffic planners and local officials say that among the roundabout's challenges are that it is unusually large, has several side streets entering it and has pedestrian stop lights.
Winooski Mayor Michael O'Brien tells Burlington Free Press the city is torn between trying to address the problems quickly and making sure the job is well planned and won't require more expensive fixes in the future.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.