Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Possible Modified Transmission Line Proposals Draw Cautious Praise
Fri May 31, 2013
Woman Crash Lands Plane, Walks Away
CRAGSMORE – A woman, who was flying a Piper P-28 single-engine plane from Resnick Airport near Ellenville to Orange County Airport in Montgomery, made a controlled crash in Cragsmoor shortly after 11 a.m. on Thursday.
State Police said the pilot, Kimberly Striefler, 23, of Greenville, was alone on the plane. She was located walking down a path in a heavily wooded area.
Striefler told police she was attempting to cross over the mountain when she made the controlled landing. She suffered minor injuries and was treated at Ellenville Regional Hospital.
FAA spokesman James Peters said the reason for the forced landing is unknown. The FAA and NTSB are investigating.
State Police at Ellenville were assisted at the scene by the Ulster County Sheriff’s Office, State Department of Environmental Conservation, state forest rangers, Cragsmoor Fire Department and Ellenville Fire and Rescue.