Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
Last week's challenge: Start with the phrase GOLD RUSH Change one letter to a T and you can rearrange the result to spell a word that names things that, unfortunately, California has had many of over the years. What are they?
Answer: If you change the Y to an M, you can spell MODEL TRUCK.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: THE RAT PACK
On-air questions: December 12 is the birthday of one Mr. Frank Sinatra. Born in Hoboken, New Jersey, in 1915, Sinatra was one of the leaders of the most famous group of performers known as the Rat Pack, so let's have a quiz about the five members of the Rat Pack.
1. Frank Sinatra received a best actor nomination in 1955, two years after winning Best Supporting Actor for From Here To Eternity. Also in 1955, Sinatra starred as Nathan Detroit in the film version of what Broadway musical about professional gamblers in the 1940s?
2. Peter Lawford was the only foreign-born member of the rat pack. Born in England, Lawford became an American citizen in April of 1960, an event he timed so he could cast a vote for his brother-in-law in the upcoming presidential election. Who, at the time, was Lawford's brother-in-law?
3. Among his many forays into television, Joey Bishop starred in a sitcom in which he played a talk show host, and later hosted his own late-night talk show. He also guest hosted what talk show 175 times, which was more than anyone else, until Joan Rivers and Jay Leno later surpassed him?
4. Originally an instrumental, the theme song for the 1970s detective series Baretta later featured lyrics sung by Sammy Davis, Jr. Officially titled "Baretta's Theme," the song is subtitled "Keep Your Eye On The" what species of bird?
5. One of the most profitable years of the annual Labor Day Muscular Dystrophy Telethon was when Dean Martin was brought out on state to publicly reconcile with what former comedy partner?
1. What star of the 2001 remake of Ocean’s Eleven won a Golden Globe for his portrayal of Sammy Davis, Jr., in the 1998 HBO TV movie The Rat Pack?
2. In what 1981 film did Dean Martin and Sammy Davis, Jr., appear together, later joined by Frank Sinatra in the 1984 sequel for what was the final feature film appearances by Martin and Sinatra?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase RAT PACK. Change one letter to an O and you can rearrange the result to spell the two-word name (three letters, four letters) of something you might have hanging in your kitchen. What is it?
About Any Questions?
WAMC's Friday quiz segment, Any Questions?, puts news director Ian Pickus in the hot seat, as he and listeners field questions from resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel. Nothnagel is Associate Professor of mathematics at The Culinary Institute of America, and a crossword constructor for the New York Times and Games Magazine, among other venues. Often, Mike and Ian switch seats or feature guest answers, such as Will Shortz, Liane Hansen, John Flansburgh and Mike Doughty.
Any Questions? airs Friday during Northeast Report Late Edition on WAMC.