Friday at 6:25 p.m. on Northeast Report Late Edition
- Hosted by Ian Pickus
- Local Host Mike Nothnagel and Ian Pickus
Last week's challenge: Start with the word DRAGONFLIES. Rearrange the letters to spell a six-letter word for something you wear on your head and a five-letter word for something you wear on your arm. What are the words?
Answer: The words are FEDORA and SLING.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: "F.D."
On-air questions: The great WAMC Fund Drive starts Monday. As you know, it’s a chance for the extended WAMC family to come together and keep the station going. As a reminder, the number is 1-800-323-9262, which we’ll get to say a few more times starting Monday. In honor of the Fund Drive, all of today’s answers have the initials F.D.
1. Before he was on money, the nation’s 18th president retreated to nearby Mt. McGregor in Saratoga County to write his memoirs. What is the worth of the currency Ulysses Grant is on?
2. Shawshank Redemption. The Walking Dead. The Green Mile. The Majestic. These are among the projects by what filmmaker, who has been nominated for three Oscars?
3. According to the NFL rulebook, a referee’s timeout may be called “at any time without penalty to either team when playing time is being consumed because of an unintentional delay.” One such situation is “when there is the possibility of a measurement for a” what?
4. With 13 grams of carbs for every half-ounce, Lik-M-Aid is a candy product manufactured by the Willy Wonka brand that includes packets of flavored sugar and a candy stick. What is the alternate name for this candy?
5. Created by the 1933 Banking Act after the Depression, a government corporation now insures deposits in participating banks up to $250,000. What is the full four-word name of this corporation?
1. Including his full name, which 20th Century president fits this category?
2. Including roles in Saturday Night Fever, UHF and This is Spinal Tap, what actress is likely best known for her performance on a 1993-1999 sitcom featuring the Sheffield family?
This week's challenge
Start with the name FRANCIS DRAKE. Rearrange the letters and you can spell two six-letter words. The first is a type of container. The second is what that container might hold. What are the words?
About Any Questions?
WAMC's Friday quiz segment, Any Questions?, puts news director Ian Pickus in the hot seat, as he and listeners field questions from resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel. Nothnagel is Associate Professor of mathematics at The Culinary Institute of America, and a crossword constructor for the New York Times and Games Magazine, among other outlets. Often, Mike and Ian switch seats or feature guest answerers, such as Will Shortz, Liane Hansen, John Flansburgh and Mike Doughty.
Any Questions? airs Friday during Northeast Report Late Edition on WAMC.