Friday at 6:25 p.m. on Northeast Report Late Edition
- Hosted by Ian Pickus
- Local Host Mike Nothnagel and Ian Pickus
Last week's challenge: Start with the name FRANCIS DRAKE. Rearrange the letters to spell two six-letter words. One is a type of container and the other is what that container might hold. What are the words?
Answer: The words are CARAFE and DRINKS.
THIS WEEK'S CATEGORY: "BACK" TO THE "FUTURE"
On-air questions: October 21, 2015 is the date that Marty McFly and Doc Brown travel to in Back to the Future Part 2. Screenwriter Bob Gale has said that the reason that date was chosen is because in the movie Marty notices that the Chicago Cubs win the World Series, and October 21 was (at the time) a date on which that could have plausibly happened. (Sorry, Cubs fans.) To commemorate our time-traveling friends, each correct answer this week will contain either the word "back" or "future."
1. A wisecracking teacher returns to James Buchanan High School in Brooklyn, his alma mater, to teach a group of remedial students named Vinnie, Juan, Freddie, and Arnold. Hijinks ensue and lessons are learned on what 1970s sitcom?
2. An organization founded at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and whose mission includes promoting agricultural education changed its name in 1998 to the National FFA Organization, incorporating the name it had been known by since 1928. What does FFA stand for?
3. "Here lies Arthur, king once and king to be" – the inscription on Arthur's tomb, according to Sir Thomas Malory – provided the inspiration for what novel, the first section of which was originally a standalone work called "The Sword and the Stone"?
4. By what name do we know the area considered by its neighborhood association to be bounded by "the Charles River on the north; Arlington Street to Park Square on the east; Columbus Avenue, Huntington Avenue, Dalton Street, and the Massachusetts Turnpike on the south; and Charlesgate East on the west"?
5. In addition to "I'll Be Back", a song recorded for A Hard Day's Night but not used in the film, there are two other Beatles songs that fit the category. What are they?
1. "This was no time for play. This was no time for fun. This was no time for games. There was work to be done." are the first lines of what 1958 book, a sequel to a 1957 book featuring the same main character?
2. Released in 1967, what album by The Moody Blues has been cited as one of the first progressive rock albums, featuring the keyboard instrument known as the Mellotron and the London Symphony Orchestra?
This week's challenge
Start with the phrase TIME TRAVEL. Change one letter to a W and you can rearrange the result to spell the ten-letter name of a place close to where Ian and I are right now. What is the place?
About Any Questions?
WAMC's Friday quiz segment, Any Questions?, puts news director Ian Pickus in the hot seat, as he and listeners field questions from resident quizzer Mike Nothnagel. Nothnagel is Associate Professor of mathematics at The Culinary Institute of America, and a crossword constructor for the New York Times and Games Magazine, among other outlets. Often, Mike and Ian switch seats or feature guest answerers, such as Will Shortz, Liane Hansen, John Flansburgh and Mike Doughty.
Any Questions? airs Friday during Northeast Report Late Edition on WAMC.