budget cuts

WAMC/Pat Bradley

Vermont House Speaker Shap Smith says he wasn't taken aback last week when Governor Peter Shumlin called for $8 million more in budget cuts.

WAMC/Pat Bradley

Several weeks ago, the state of Vermont’s consulting economists reported that projected revenues were not increasing as expected. On Wednesday, the Legislature’s Joint Fiscal Committee approved a revised package of budget cuts.

WAMC/Pat Bradley

Audio Pending...

Two economists advising Governor Peter Shumlin and Vermont lawmakers say a national economic downturn in the first quarter of this year is likely to blame for softer-than-expected state revenues.

  The sequester has been the law of the land since March.

In today’s Congressional Corner, New York Representative Chris Gibson — a Republican from the 19th district — tells WAMC’s Alan Chartock that the budget cuts are not to his liking.

EraserGirl/Wikimedia Commons

Local members of Congress are pleased to see the U.S. Postal Service withdraw its plan to halt Saturday mail delivery. But the decision still leaves several unsolved issues.

Earlier this week the U.S. Postal service announced that it would delay implementation of a plan to halt Saturday mail service sought by Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe.

The announcement came after the Board of Governors met to discuss a piece of legislation included in the Continuing Resolution passed by Congress last month that requires six-day mail delivery.

Out of the cuts included in the House Ways and Means proposal, the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a public agency that promotes investment in the arts and sciences, is facing a 15 percent reduction in state funding. And arts advocates are moving quickly.

Matt Wilson is head of MASSCreative, an organization that lobbies in support of cultural organizations and arts and sciences education.

Andrei Tilin, Montreal, Quebec/Wikimedia Commons

Federal officials are advising travelers to expect longer wait times during the Easter weekend at the border crossings with Canada in western and northern New York.

NY Budget Passes

Mar 29, 2013
Office of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo

New York State lawmakers were  finished work on the state budget Thursday evening, completing the spending plan three days before the deadline.   

The Assembly held a marathon day of voting to wrap up work on the budget , after the State Senate finished up in a midnight session earlier.

Debate on the floor included criticism from both Democrats and Republicans, over $90 million dollars in cuts to providers of services for the developmentally disabled. Lawmakers have set up a task force to try to mitigate the cuts.

Abir Anwar

The looming automatic federal budget cuts - or sequestration - will trickle down to all parts of the economy.  During a meeting on business confidence, northern New York officials predicted serious consequences for some economic sectors in the region.  They are also disappointed that Congress can’t, or won’t, work to find the 2-percent cuts in the federal budget.

White House says budget cuts to take effect Friday

Feb 25, 2013

The White House says about 12,000 civilians who work for the defense department in New York would be furloughed and funding for the operation of Army bases in the state would be cut by $108 million.

The state's schools and teachers are also at serious risk, as are efforts to protect clean air and water.

Massachusetts could lose tens of millions of dollars for education, environmental protection and child care, about $14 million for primary and secondary education, putting 190 teacher and aide jobs at risk.

    Tonight at 7:30 PM in their Club B10, MASS MoCA will screen Brooklyn Castle as part of their Winter/Spring 2013 documentary film series, Compete!, celebrating films about winning, losing, and how you play the game.

Brooklyn Castle is an engaging and heartwarming doc about the championship winning chess team at IS 318 - a below-the-poverty-line public school in Brooklyn. The film focuses on 5 incredible kids and their coaches and teachers as they battle their opponents as well as recessionary budget cuts that threaten all extracurricular activities at their school.

The film won an Audience Award at last year’s South by Southwest Film 2012 Documentary Spotlight and was one of the top 10 Audience Favourites at the Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival.

Filmmaker, Katie Dellamaggiore, will do a Q&A via Skype after the screening of Brooklyn Castle tonight at MASS MoCA and she joins us to talk about the film.

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy is unveiling $170 million in spending reductions across state agencies, the first part of a plan to close Connecticut's current $365 million budget shortfall.

The Democrat released the list Wednesday. It includes nearly $161 million worth of reductions to executive branch agencies that range from a $33,957 cut to the governor's office to a $32.2 million reduction at the Department of Social Services.

Malloy has the statutory authority to rescind up to five percent of any budget line and three percent of any fund without legislative approval.

Eric Haynes / Governor’s Office

A retired Air Force Brigadier  General, Donald Quenneville is going to be managing  the efforts in Massachusetts to protect the state’s defense sector from federal budget cuts.  Quenneville, who is a native of South Hadley,  has  been hired as executive director of  the Military Asset and Security Strategy Task Force.  He  spoke with WAMC’s Pioneer Valley Bureau Chief, Paul Tuthill.

Three branch libraries are scheduled to close at the end of this week in Springfield Massachusetts because of budget cuts. Library advocates have mobilized to try to stop the closures.  WAMC”s Pioneer Valley Bureau Chief Paul Tuthill reports.


            About 50 people held a rally outside the  East Forest Park library branch to protest plans to close it.

Senior citizens staged a protest at the Massachusetts Statehouse Thursday over a proposed budget cut for the elder nutrition program.  WAMC's Pioneer Valley Bureau Chief Paul Tuthill reports…

The elderly activists rallied to urge legislators to reject Governor Deval Patrick’s proposed $1.5 million cut to the senior meals program.  The governor’s proposal would mean the number of meals served to seniors next year would be slashed by 25%, or 240,000 meals.