In 1957, the Moran Municipal Generating Station began generating electricity for the city of Burlington. In 1982, it shut down and ownership was transferred to the city in 1986. Since then a number of unsuccessful proposals have been made to redevelop the building. Three years ago, voters approved a ballot measure that authorized city officials to work with developers New Moran Incorporated on a final attempt to create a redevelopment plan. But Burlington Mayor Miro Weinberger felt it was time to make a final decision on the building.